Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:15:53 EDT
From:      "gerald stoller" <gerald_stoller@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Korn shell  STDOUT

      I am trying to learn how the (Korn) shell is organized, so I put some
printf  statements in many places.  They give a lot of output on  STDOUT ,
so in order to be able to read it, I pipe it to a  tee  command which stores
the output.  I have found that the output pauses when the file has  16384
(or thereabouts) bytes in it, sometimes it goes to  32768  (or thereabouts)
bytes in it, and a couple of times it has even gone up to  65536  (or
thereabouts) bytes.  This behavior makes me think of buffered output, but
(with some checking via long files) neither  pipe  nor  tee  have buffered
output, and so I have been told by a Bell Labber.  Anybody know how I can
easily change the
STDOUT to be unbuffered?
     Please respond directly to me as I have several hundred unread letters
in my Bulk Mail folder.