Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 95 09:48:58 JST
From:      Masahiro SEKIGUCHI <seki@sysrap.cs.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: LOCALE stuff

>500 Unbekannter Befehl.

>221 iaix5.informatik.htw-dresden.de: Die Verbindung wird beendet.

>DO WE REALLY WANT THIS?

No.  (At least, I don't.)

SMTP conversation is primarily intended to be program-program
communication.  There are less requirements to translate them into
foreign languages.  Even if we try it, the language used must be
selected by territory of the *client*, not by that of the SMTP server.

On the other hand, there are many users want to see messages from
commands or utilities as well as applications in their native
languages.  Many commercial un*xes provide the mechanism today.

I know there is another group of people who want to keep un*x messages
in English...  I don't want to discuss "which is better?" issue here.
I just want to point out there are two different opinions.  ... And,
the locale mechanism is user configurable.