Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 21:51:08 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us.w2xo.w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   A Nameserver/Resolv.conf question

I would like to understand better some behavior I saw
with 3.3-RELEASE concerning resolv.conf.

I am in the process of bringing our company's LAN onto
the internet. As a first step, we are running mail on
a 3.3-RELEASE box using fetchmail to fetch the mail for
our domain off a server on the 'net via modem.

In order to get all the workstations configured as I would
like them when the system is fully completed, I run a local
nameserver on the 3.3 box as a master for our domain. This
server is not reachable yet from the internet, so it should
not interfere with our domain nameserers located on the 'net.
The 3.3 box is also not known to the internet nameservers for
our domain, only the server which stores our domain mail off-site
is known at present.

My first attempt, prior to discovering that 3.3-RELEASE no
longer needs resolv.conf if you are running a local nameserver,
was to make a resolv.conf file with the local nameserver entry first,
and then two nameserver IPs provided by our ISP on the two next lines.
This allowed the "local" nameserver to be consulted first, resolving
problems with names not know to the "real" domain server (which knows
only the off-site server's IP).

Every day, upon firing up my workstation, I would find problems
with TELNETing into the local server. I guessed that this was a
nameserver
problem. Upon looking at resolv.conf, I found that the IP of the
local nameserver, the whole line, had been removed. The time of
modification of the file was at the time the "periodic/daily" script
ran.
I could find no mention in the "daily" scripts of resolv.conf. The
"daily"
scripts daily e-mail message to "root" showed no errors.

I fixed the problem by just eliminating resolv.conf and defaulting to
the local nameserver, but what was modifying the resolv.conf file?

Thanks,
--
Jim Durham