Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:47:07 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: reliable HDD brand (LONG)

	From my experience, Quantum was the absolute worst.  Anyone remember the
Bigfoot fiasco?  I had two of these drives out of a shipment of 12 do the
exact same thing... got 'em physically installed, fdisked the drive,
formatted it, and as soon as the OS (a MS OS at that) went to reboot during
install, the entire drive hosed itself.

	Gotta remember this too, Quantum sold their HDD unit to Maxtor.  Makes one
wonder...

> Western Digital used to be great--probably the best brand of IDE
> drive, now
> probably one of the worst. I have returned more WD drives per
> capita since
> the age of 4GB (or so) models than any other brand. They decided
> to change
> their business model to making pure cheap drives. They have just recently
> reversed that (very recently) and are now getting back into quality,
> performance drives. Their most recent 100GB drive is actually THE fastest
> IDE drive, beating even the 60GXP and the Maxtor Diamondmax +
> 7200RPM drives
> (though probably not the new 80GB model that will be released in October)

	WD has done some strange things in the past few years.  First I'd heard
that they were closing out their consumer grade hard drive production
facility, so they could focus on OEM contracts for the big PC producers.
Then it came out that they were going to get rid of their enterprise unit
(the one that does the OEM contracts) and focus on commodity drives.
*shakes his head*  About all I can say is this, I've got a 10 Gig WD Ultra66
IDE in my Windows (toy)box, and it's never given me a problem for more than
2 years.

> Seagate -- makes great SCSI drives (and FAST!), but in my
> experience, which
> does not include any of their newest (>12 GB) drives, Seagates aren't as
> good as IBM or Maxtor.

	Hmm, I'm not sure that I agree here.  The 18+ Gig Seagates that run 15krpm
are good drives.  Back when I was an IT consultant, we had a client that
REQUIRED Seagate drives, and had the "Price is not an issue" thing along
with it.  So, I spec'd out a RAID array of those things... they've never had
problem with them, and never had a drive fail.

> In general, if you want reliability, go SCSI, mirroring IDE or, RAID5 IDE
> and have a hot spare. If you want enterprise reliability (which
> you probably
> don't if you were considering IDE drives) get a solid state
> drive. They are
> usually above USD$25,000. Ouch. (These things are also blazing
> fast as far
> as access time--great for that "special" 5% of files on a big file server)

	Solid state drives are pretty nice... but, like you said, spendy as all get
out.

	SCSI - the best non-exotic hardware storage solution around.

--- Andy