Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 1995 22:22:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange tape bug FYI

This is not a bug w/ FreeBSD, but it was strange enough, that I figured I'd
post it just in case someone else sees it in the future.

I have been having problems with a SCSI DAT drive on a BusLogic 946C, where the
tape would never start streaming, and after a long time would error out with
the following messages:

Beginning backup of partition /
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Tue Nov 14 19:33:13 1995
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/rsd0a (/) to /dev/nrst0
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 103338 tape blocks on 0.03 tape(s).
  DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
  DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
  DUMP: End of tape detected
  DUMP: Closing /dev/nrst0
  DUMP: Change Volumes: Mount volume #2
  DUMP: Is the new volume mounted and ready to go?: ("yes" or "no") no^C
  DUMP: Interrupt received.

dmesg output shows:

st0(bt0:0:0): Deferred Error: HARDWARE FAILURE asc:9,0 Track following error
st0(bt0:0:0): HARDWARE FAILURE info:2800 asc:9,0 Track following error
st0(bt0:0:0): HARDWARE FAILURE info:2800 asc:9,0 Track following error
st0(bt0:0:0): HARDWARE FAILURE asc:9,0 Track following error

-----

Hard drive access and everything else was peachy-keen.  I swapped tape drives,
same problem, I loaded older OS's and newer OS's.  Used different versions of
dump, all with zero success.  Finally I replaced the SCSI card, and vwalla, all
worked well.  This doesnt make much sense to me, as HD access was just fine, go
figure.

-Crh

    Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu

                     http://rs560.msu.edu/~henrich/