Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:32:00 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Journaling

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 01:05:22PM -0400, Don wrote:
> > I think you're mixing things up here.  Journalling and the number of
> > slices available have nothing to do with anything.  Anyway, the Vinum
> > layer effectively removes this limitation.
> Again this is a result of UFS on top of FFS (AFAIK). You can not have more
> than 7 UFS slices per FFS partition. (Please forgive any mistaken
> references here as I should not be near this computer with the flu that I
> appear to have.)

The number of partitions has nothing to do with with the filesystem you use.
FFS is not a partitionsheme but a filesystem.
UFS is a historic filesystem on which FFS is based.
Today we usually mean with UFS the family of UFS derived filesystems such as
FFS, MFS or LFS and it declares in the implementation the common things.
The Limit of 7 partionions is not of any interest if you use vinum.
Vinum should be able to manage in 1 partion more volumes than you will want.

> > There is currently a project underway to grow file systems.  Nobody's
> > been interested enough to shrink them (which is a lot more work), but
> > I'd guess it would be less difficult than writing a whole new fs.
> What good is the ability to grow a partition without the ability to shrink
> another? (That is rhetorical. I realize that when adding a disk it will
> help but in the case of "I ran out of space and I need to expand this FS
> into that one it does not help")

I'm also intersted in having a way to shrink an FFS filesystem, but it is
much more difficult than growing and you have to rename inodes which is not
always good.
At this moment I'm thinking of some ways to retain the inode numbers.
In the more common case your system is getting to small and you want to
have another HDD added - so only be able to grow does make sense.

--
B.Walter                  COSMO-Project              http://www.cosmo-project.de
ticso@cicely.de             Usergroup                info@cosmo-project.de