Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 18:29:38 GMT
From:      gus@algonet.se (Gustaf Tham)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up printer in freeBSD 4.2

Francois,
I'm almost new to FreeBSD, but I think I can help you.
If anyone more knowledgeable disagrees, please tell both of us.

The lines in the kernel config that you need for a parallell printer
are already there; just check that they are uncommented;
( I dont think I had to change anything in the kernel for this).

    device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
    device          ppbus      # Parallel port bus (required)
    device          lpt        # Printer

The simplest way to set up printing is probably to use apsfilter.
You don't have to read the handbook, I think  :-)

1. Install gs (ghostscript) from the ports collection
2. Install apsfilter
3. Run apsfilter's SETUP program in /usr/local/share/apsfilter
    (I think),
    select your printer, port, resolution etc; test printing.
4. I had to edit /etc/printcap, since the device lp was used
    twice.  Comment out the one not belonging to apsfilter.
5. Check that /etc/rc.conf contains the line
    lpd_enable="YES"
5. Reboot.

Now you can print most files by a simple lpr filename, without
having to worry if they are plain text, PostScript, HTML etc.

Good luck
Gustaf Tham
Sweden

On 21 Apr 2001 16:17:27 +0200, ffkrz@iafrica.com (Francois Kritzinger)
wrote:

>I have read the freeBSD handbook, and followed their instructions.
>
>I have an HP deskjet 710C on freeBSD 4.2.
>
>I added the lines from the handbook into my kernel configuration file,
>but I got an error: "config: syntax error on line xx" which was
>obviously the line I added.
>When freeBSD boots up it sees the printer and also the fact that is is
>on ppbus0 and on lpt0.
>
>So in other words I don't know how to make my printer work...
>
>Any tips?