Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:14:19 +0200
From:      Stefan =?iso-8859-1?Q?E=DFer?= <se@freebsd.org>
To:        Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
Cc:        Marcus Grando <marcus@sbh.eng.br>
Subject:   Re(2): DWL-520+ and others cards

On 2003-07-22 09:47 +0200, Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:43:29AM +0200, Stefan E?er wrote:
> > I had a look and found, that the driver comes under a
> > BSD licence and that BSD is mentioned as a target OS!
>
> See ath(4) in -CURRENT.

Hmmm, did you think the DWL-520+ was supported by the ath driver ?

It is not. It's one of those games played by WLAN card manufacturers.
They often keep the name of the card, but change chips over time.

The DWL-520+ is a 802.11b+ card (i.e. 22Mbps with TI chip).

The original DWL-520 was based on the PRISM II chip, according to wi(4).
The DWL-AB520 / DWL-AG520 are based on Atheros chips and supported by
ath(4).

It's worse with other brands. There are lots of card models that used
be supported by wi(4) but newer versions of the card use the TI chip
without *any* change in the product name ...

Regards, STefan