Date:      Thu, 08 May 2003 04:43:26 -0500
From:      "Mezz bsdforums.org" <reigncracks@hotmail.com>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gnome 2.3.1 frozen, can't load desktop anymore..

I upgraded everything by 'portupgrade -ra'; it has gedit-plugins, which it
was the lastest committed in the CVS. However, now the Gnome 2.3.1 and other
apps will not load anymore. I decided to delete the everything of dot files
(.gconf*, .gnome*, .metacity and etc), /tmp/(orib and etc) and
/var/tmp/(orib and etc). I was able to get more further to get Gnome 2.3.1
loads screen, after ready to load panel and etc. It got frozen and the buddy
bug popped up. It was nautilus, so I clicked next and the buddy bug crashed
too. lol..

So... I got Openbox loads and I tried to ran the nautilus with gdb.. I had
to use ctrl+c (^C) to kill nautilus and do the backtraces. nautilus just
will showing in the top and ps, but not desktop.

http://mezzweb.com:81/show/gdb-nautilus2.txt

Here's one to load nautilus with the '--no-desktop' flag option: (above link
is better)

================
$ gdb nautilus

(gdb) r  --no-desktop
Starting program: /usr/X11R6/bin/nautilus --no-desktop
^C
0x28d52093 in poll () from /usr/lib/libc.so.5
(gdb) bt
#0  0x28d52093 in poll () from /usr/lib/libc.so.5
#1  0x28df8801 in _thread_kern_sched_state_unlock () from
/usr/lib/libc_r.so.5
#2  0x28df81f0 in _thread_kern_scheduler () from /usr/lib/libc_r.so.5
#3  0xd0d0d0d0 in ?? ()
================

I remembered Joe told me about the '0xd0d0d0d0', so it means it's malloc...
I guess, if I disable the malloc by do the 'aj' should workable the problem.
I haven't tried it yet, thought.

I don't know what else I can check and do... If you, Joe, want to login in
my box, just let me know.

$ uname -a
FreeBSD sysinfo.mezzweb.com 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Tue Apr 15
20:42:53 CDT 2003
mezz@sysinfo.mezzweb.com:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/BSDROCKS  i386

Cheers,
Mezz