Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2012 19:45:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kyle Creyts <kcreyts@merit.edu>
To:        Dustin Wenz <dustinwenz@ebureau.com>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Marginal disks prevent boot with mps(4)

Iirc, this is a camctl problem.

Dustin Wenz <dustinwenz@ebureau.com> wrote:

I just received a SFF-8088->8087 cable via FedEx this morning, which allowed me to continue to isolate this problem.

What I discovered is that it makes no difference whether a bad disk is connected to an expander, or if one is connected directly to the HBA. So, if this is a hardware bug, it must be present in the LSI SAS2008-based HBA that I'm using. The firmware on the card was also upgraded from v11.00.00.00 to v13.00.57.00, which is the latest as far as I am aware. That did not seem to change the behavior.

I did notice that earlier during startup, I see this message a page or so before the endless ioc messages start:
	mps0: polling failed
	mpssas_get_sata_identify: poll for page completed with error 60_mapping_get_dev
	info: failed to compute the hashed SAS address for SATA device with handle 0x0009

It seems that the driver knows something is up; even before it gets stuck later on...

So far, the only way I can get this configuration to boot is to change the status for MPI2_IOCSTATUS_SCSI_IOC_TERMINATED to CAM_REQ_CMP_ERR, as Ken mentioned. That change will still cause the machine to report some "ioc terminated" messages, but will not hang the startup process indefinitely. However, I'm not sure what the implications of making that change on a production machine would be.

If this is LSI's problem, I don't see why they would bother to fix it. As far as I know, they are the only 6Gb SAS/SATA HBA vendor that works on FreeBSD. We have no choice but to buy their stuff, even if it's not robust.

	- .Dustin