Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:36:15 -0700
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
Cc:        Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [hackers] Re: Setting memory allocators for library functions.

    >>  Well, to some extent, I have to wonder why all these pages are
    >> being requested if they aren't being used...

    Tony> fork() with big data segments that cause swap to be reserved
    Tony> in case of a copy-on-write. The 2GB of swap is never
    Tony> actually used, but you still have to have it.

If the information in the data segment is going to be updated then
you have to have writable backing store. If, however, that data
is never going to be changed, it should be declared in the program
as read-only data. The kernel VM system should not be working around
applications that don't declare their data arena correctly.

--lyndon