Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 23:50:54 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        BSD Blood <bsdblood@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail vs other MTAs

I use Postfix. I'm not really sure why, but it might be because the guys
in #FreeBSD/irc.openproject.net recommend it.

Configuration is definitely easier than with Sendmail. However, the
easiest server I've ever configured was Exim. That's worth a look if
ease of use is your primary concern.

The Postfix overview (at www.postfix.org) says that Postfix is a direct
competitor to qmail (he makes a point of saying competitor, not enemy),
with its primary goals being speed, security and ease of use.

An interesting feature of postfix is that it is actually composed of
many different daemons. For example, one manages the queue, another smtp
connections and data transfer, one to deliver mail, and some others. I
imagine this results in a performance increase, since various parts of
the mail system can be parallelized. However, if you have a really large
mail system, you might need the FreeBSD kernel to allow more running
processes at one time.

I think one advantage of Postfix is that it runs well in a distributed
mail system, although I wouldn't know, because I only have a single
server.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx