Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:58:12 -0700
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Bhyve Broken: whose fault (AMD, FreeBSD, ZFS ...?)

Hi,

> What should be next steps here?  This is repeatable.  The host is stable
> (it can makeworld -j32 in about 25 minutes ... so it's hardware seems
> good).  Is this an AMD bug?  Is it bad to use ZFS ZVols?

  ZVols are fine. Is the guest panic a spinlock timeout ?

  I believe this is a bug in bhyve/SVM. It appears somewhat related to
processor speed (I can't repro on a 2.3GHz 8 CPU Opteron 6320, but can
hit it after 15 mins or so on a Ryzen 1700, with/without SMT).

  Anish and I are currently chasing this and have repros. An experiment
you could try is to run with the vCPUs pinned i.e. for a 4 vCPU guest,
add the options "-p 0:1 -p 1:2 -p 2:3 -p 3:4".

later,

Peter.