Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:43:05 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Michail Vidiassov <master@iaas.msu.ru>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI problem - broken debug output

Dear Doug,

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Doug White wrote:

> > But after I have defined ACPI_DEBUG_OUTPUT in
> > /sys/contrib/dev/acpica/acconfig.h
> > I have got broken debug output like
> >
> > Table [DSDT] - %hd Objects with %hd Devices %hd Methods %hd Regions
> > %hd Devices found containing: %hd _STA, %hd _INI methods
> > Initialized %hd/%hd Regions %hd/%hd Fields %hd/%hd Buffers %hd/%hd
> > Packages (%hd nodes)
>
> Typically, acpi debugging is enabled using a couple of loader tunables, as
> described on acpi(4).  You just need to compile with ACPI_DEBUG to get the
> output functionality. I think ACPI_DEBUG_OUTPUT is some internal option
> that you shouldn't be messing with directly.

No, /sys/contrib/dev/acpica/CHANGES.txt told me:
Replace ACPI_DEBUG define with ACPI_DEBUG_OUTPUT.

The broken output is caused by the lack of support for
"h" (short int) optional character in the kvprintf
function, "Scaled down version of printf", residing in
/sys/kern/subr_prf.c

Thus the solution is to replace %hd with %d in
/sys/contirb/dev/acpica/* (since short is converted to
int anyway) or enhancing kvprintf to handle "h",
to make porting from Linux easier.

Is it worth sending a pr?

                    Sincerely, Michail
PS. BTW. acpi(4) does not mention the need to use
acpi_dsdt_type="acpi_dsdt", since it is a loader.conf
default on FreeBSD-CURRENT. But not on 4.9-??.
May be it is also worth reporting?
                Sincerely, Michail