Date:      Tue, 10 Jan 2012 03:43:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      Barbara <barbara.xxx1975@libero.it>
To:        <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   R: Re: Is browser plugin broken?

> On 09.01.2012 07:37, Barbara wrote:
>> Generally speaking, recent Firefox versions work with java plugin for java
6 update 10 or above.
>> On FreeBSD, jdk 16 is at update 3 and diablo at update 7.
>> That's why you should use openjdk6+icedtead-web.
>
> Thank you. But, if the software version is to blame, why wouldn't Firefox
even list the Java plugin on its about:plugins page? Is it a bug in the
browser?

You can find the technical detail of the reason here:
http://java.com/en/download/faq/firefox_newplugin.xml
The problem is not just the version number, but about interfaces.

> BTW, I also tried with Opera (11.51) and it was not seeing Java either...
(Both Firefox and Opera are now using Icedtea, though.)
> -mi

Glad to know it's working now!

Regards
Barbara