Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:45:17 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@rover.village.org>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Versioning bsd.port.mk

In message <199708221100.EAA06524@silvia.HIP.Berkeley.EDU> Satoshi
Asami writes:
: Actually, looking at yours and itojun's patch, I was wondering...can
: we use the date in the $Id$ field in the port's Makefile?  We should
: make it just a warning (because there just may be no newer
: bsd.port.mk) but this is zero additional burden for the port
: committers and probably enough information for clueless users to get
: the latest bsd.port.mk if something goes wrong.

Hmmm.  I'm not sure that that is even foolproof.  If you are making
changes to the bsd.port.mk file while I'm making changes to the
gerbils port.  My changes get in first, and then yours.  My changes
depend on version n-1 of the bsd.port.mk file, but version n breaks
it.  I'd not get a warning, and it wouldn't work.  This may be an
acceptible race to have, but something strikes me as wrong here for
some reason.

Warner