Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 1997 09:25:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
To:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
Cc:        dk+@ua.net, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: procedure to adjust clock drift?

On Wed, 24 Dec 1997, Jamie Bowden wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 1997, Dmitry Kohmanyuk wrote:
>
> > In article <199712232054.NAA24318@harmony.village.org> you wrote:
> > > In message <199712231738.JAA01502@rah.star-gate.com> Amancio Hasty writes:
> > > : Does anyone have a procedure to adjust the clock drift in a PC?
> >
> > > ntp?
> >
> > > It is already in the tree as xntpd and friends...
> >
> > of course;  the problem with PCs is that they, unlike, say, sparcs,
> > can gain few seconds in a day...
> >

> I have an SGI Challenge S that just started losing about 40 minutes a day
> about a week ago.  It's not just a PC problem, though PC clocks tend suck
> in general.  My SGI's are highly reliable with that one exception, and
> that one worries me, but hey, that's what backups are for.

Heh... we used to routinely have entire labs of SGIs go off by DAYS in the
period of a weekend, they were all trying to sync off each other, and just
kept drifting further and further away.  What is curious for me though is
before I enabled xntpd (and I recomend that everyone should use this
program to keep in sync), I would drift by a minute a week (rather FreeBSD
would, my CMOS clock would still be right on)... I understand why this
happens, it is just a bit strange (IMO that FreeBSD would not repoll the
CMOS clock occassionaly)

--
David Cross
ACS Consultant