Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:25:50 +0200
From:      Anders Nordby <anders@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Stefan Hauser <etienne@usr.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq DL 360 SMP problem (was: i386/89545: Compaq DL 360 ACPI boot problem)

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 01:13:29PM +0200, Stefan Hauser wrote:
>>> Yes, apic is enabled in the kernel that I run. ACPI is loaded as a
>>> kernel module. If I disable ACPI, FreeBSD also finds only one processor.
> do you have apic enabled in the bios ? (btw, dont mix up apci and acpi)
> if yes, you should see APIC in the feature line of the cpu.
> if it's not enabled, see http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMP-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.1

This is an older server. I have to boot it from a SmartStart CD to
access the system configuration in it, and I couldn't enable the
advanced mode to see whether or not APIC is enabled. But, after
switching to another OS profile (Linux) there it seems that issue got
fixed. After I did the change, I can see that the CPU has the feature
APIC:

CPU: Intel Pentium III (797.48-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x683  Stepping = 3
  Features=0x383fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>

Before that, it did not:

CPU: Intel Pentium III (797.48-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x683  Stepping = 3
Features=0x383f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>

PS: Sorry it took some time to check up on this. The server is in a
co-location facility, and I don't go there often.

PS2: On other Compaq/HP servers, I've had success setting APIC mode to
"full table mapped". I just couldn't find that on this one, the system
configuration does not give me any advanced options or mode.

Cheers,

--
Anders.