Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 20:55:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSL port

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> > I'd much prefer to deprecate the port in favour of the base-system
> > version. Is there any reason why you'd want to use the ports version?
>
> Yep. I couldn't find the base-system version. I don't want kerberos/des,
> and these seem to be the only distributions containing libssl. And I
> don't even know *which* one has it. Since I installed scrypto by

The src-crypto and src-secure cvsup collections are the ones you want
(crypto/ is the analogue of contrib/)

Kerberos doesnt get built by default..although you can't turn off DES with
a compile option, 'tis true. Perhaps we should have a NO_DESCRYPT option.

> mistake, I tried making it by hand (make world is not an option to me),
> and failed.

You should be able to build it by hand still..but not being able to make
world isn't really an excuse since it's the only supported way to build
system source.

Kris

----
"How many roads must a man walk down, before you call him a man?"
"Eight!"
"That was a rhetorical question!"
"Oh..then, seven!" -- Homer Simpson