Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 10:27:27 +0000
From:      Jonathan Laventhol <jonathan.laventhol@imagination.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: picobsd - network version]

Dear Picofriends --

Regarding discussion on configuring PicoBSD ...

> > > I know that the space is pretty tought there, but without an editor,
> > > it's very complicated to configure it.
> > I thought it had `ee' on it...
> No it seems not... and neither does the Router version.
> I'm setting interfaces manually.

As part of my miniature DHCP/DNS server project,
we are using a (heavily) modified version of 'net', in the
circumstance where:
* Only one ethernet interface (but don't necessarily know the type)
* No other IP interfaces (except lo0)
* Very unqualified persons might need to reconfigure its IP address

The box will ultimately serve DHCP / DNS / NTP / TFTP to support
remote sites, plus incoming telnet and ftp for updates.  Currently
it has everything except DNS and NTP.  As part of this I needed to
greatly simplify the IP configuration; in the final version there
will also be an astonishingly simple screen editor.

At present the method of ip configuration might be of interest:

The solution I'm using here is a *very simple* unified configuration
file /etc/ip.conf which contains:
	IP Address / Netmask / NS / Def Gate / Name / Domain

We have a very simple editor for this file, called ipconfig,
and a hacked rc.conf.

I'd be happy to post early versions of this if someone would give
me ftp upload on a suitable box.  (Alternatively I'll e-mail people
if they like.)  Remember this is *WORK IN PROGRESS* and changes
every day.  On the other hand, it does work!

Best regards,
J.
--
Jonathan Laventhol