Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 22:52:24 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        FreeBDS-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is mergemaster necessary?

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 03:12:59PM -0500, Marco Radzinschi wrote:

> Hello:
>
> 	I just updated this box to 4.5-STABLE by running cvsup and
> makeworld.  However, when I ran mergemaster, I must have done something
> wrong, and I kept getting error messages about "daemon class not found,"
> and "default class not found."

You should probably follow the instructions at or aound line 348 in
/usr/src/UPDATING.

> Do I really have to run mergemaster?  Are there any files that MUST be
> updated in the /etc directory?  I do not want to screw up this box. :-)

Running mergemaster allows you to reconcile /etc files to reflect both
changes you have made and changes that have been made to the
distribution. Which seems like a good idea to me. You can have the
option in mergemaster (indeed it is the default) to put off deciding
what to do until later, you can then do the whole thing by hand.
I would suggest that it is an important part of the update procedure.

> Also, how do I get rid of those annoying "hints" that show up when I log
> in?  Where is the hints program launching from?

This is "fortune" program.
Remove the line that executes /usr/games/fortune from the file
.profile in your home directory (it's probably the last line in the
file).

--
Regards
Cliff