Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:22:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        rdls@jezebel.demon.co.uk
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My misconceptions about the GPL

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Richard Smith wrote:

>> >I could release my new megasuite under either BSD or GPL and will
>> >forfeit monetary gain through either route.

I just don't understand whether you are saying you will forfeit gain
because you *choose* not to charge, or you forfeit gain because you
*cannot* charge.
I thought you could charge for either, but the BSD license would protect
your intellectual property if it were a derivative work?

>What the GPL prevents is people taking my GPLed product and charging for
>a derived work. It doesn't restrict me in any way as the original
>copyright holder.

So, if i understand correctly, if you write an *original* work, and then
GPL it, you may charge for it and prevent anyone else from
creating/selling derivative works without revealing their changes.

So basically, for an *original* work, the two licenses are very similar,
but *derivative* works under GPL require that the changes (intellectual
property) be made known, while the BSD license does not.  So BSD
encourages modification for profit, while GPL does not?

-jm