Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:30:38 -0400
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        Marco van de Voort <marcov@stack.nl>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unicode on FreeBSD

You, Marco van de Voort, were spotted writing this on Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 02:10:35PM +0100:

> I'm sorry that I maybe missed part of the thread, but what parts that should get
> UNICODE support are we thinking of?

I have suggested adding Unicode support in the keyboard driver and the
vga driver (more precisely, vga and syscons). As a result of such changes:

a) keymap files would map keycodes to the desired Unicode values rather
than 8-bit values depending on a particular encoding, which should
greatly simplify /usr/share/syscons/keymaps and let applications
that desire so obtain Unicode input directly;

b) font files would map Unicode chars, rather than encoding-dependent
chars, to glyphs. That would greatly simplify /usr/share/syscons/fonts,
get rid of a huge amount of redundant information there, and allow
creation of unified font files describing many languages at once.

c) vga code would be changed to allow 512-characters hardware fonts in
text modes, which will suffice to hold several languages at once. Moreover,
in raster modes (which are pseudo-text modes -- graphic modes with
fast text rendering) any amount of Unicode glyphs could be displayed
at once.

d) userland applications wouldn't feel a thing, and will continue
to receive pure 8-bit stream translated from/to Unicode by syscons by
way of a user-supplied encoding table. UTF-8 may play a role of
one such particular table, which will in future allow easy way
to modify userland applications to support UTF-8 if desired.

I am willing to do this work ( a)-d) ), have a good understanding of
the issues involved, etc. However I am neither a committer nor a
member of -core. If -core thinks this whole thing is a Bad Idea,
my changes won't get reviewed and/or committed, and I don't want to do
a lot of work to find out later it won't get into FreeBSD. This
is why I've asked for an endorsement from the People Who Decide
Things: not a guarantee, of course, that whatever I do will be
welcomed, but rather an acknowledgement that this is a Worthy Issue
and if my diffs are working well and answer the needed criteria,
they will be reviewed and committed.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/