Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 01:21:22 +1000 (EST)
From:      Chris Cason <maillist@gateway.oaks.com.au>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   MS Exchange mail server and port 137

I recently noticed that, a few seconds after I sent an email to a
a recipient who was using Microsoft Exchange server internet mail
connector version 4.0.994.63, my IPFW setup logged to the console
that several probes came to UDP port 137 (Netbios name service.)

I've only recently firewalled these ports out so this may be a
common occurrance ... has anyone seen this before, or know why
they do it ? Is the ME server looking for host information
automatically ?

-- Chris