Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 09:20:01 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        shibumi@cisco.com
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD mentioned in SRO Update

"Kenton A. Hoover" wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jan 1999 00:02:03 MST, Sendmail channeled Wes Peters saying:
> > I can certainly build a FreeBSD box that will kick living hell out
> > of a 2500 for far less money, and run a web server, nntp cache,
> > mail server, and ftp server all on it at the same time.
>
> Anyone can bottom feed.  I used to beat the 2500 on a 386 PC running KA9Q NOS
> two years before the 2500 was released. One of the original things I did with
> FreeBSD was to make a router-on-a-floppy build, which included NTP.  However,
> if you're a bank or an oil company, you might be using different measurements
> than I was about what made a suitable router.

And if you're a small insurance office or travel agency, you'll
probably use different measurements than the bank or oil company.
Remember, this article appeared in "Smart Reseller" magazine,
which is addressed to exactly the sort of people who build and
install systems for small businesses.  In that context, I think
having one box with all or most of your internet services on it,
and a service contract from the vendor, will have the lowest TCO.

> I get a little tired of the "gold brick" line about Cisco routers.  If you can
> find something that meets your needs thats less expensive (in terms of TCO),
> please go buy it.  Its only that sort of pressure that can keep any company
> competitive.

There's nothing wrong with being labelled "good, but expensive."  Ask
the engineers at Lexus.  Or Mercedes-Benz.  ;^)

Personally, I've been surprised to see Cisco moving into the low end
in the last few years.  I guess it is to make sure they can offer
solutions to an entire enterprise, and/or to offer low-end routers
to ISPs and such who want to remain all-Cisco.  Their low-end offerings
like the 2500 series are competent, but awfully pricey for what you
get.  But, if you're a die-hard all-Cisco shop, what's an extra $1000
between friends, right?  ;^)