Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 14:09:37 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Jayesh Krishna" <jayeshkrishna@hotmail.com>
Cc:        julian@elischer.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: Writing device drivers (was: help me please)

> hi,
>     Thanx Julian for pointing me to the tunnel pseudo-driver.
>     But my major concern was regarding linking the driver to the kernel( i
> am trying to use static linking stuff). I am presently doing
> a major grep on "tun" 8-)
>      It would be great if i could get some docs regding which files
> have to be modified so that the kernel realises my driver. So far
> i could figure out that the below files have to be modified( did i leave
> anything ????)
>
> /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/*
> /usr/src/sys/conf/majors
> /usr/src/sys/conf/files

That's about it.

>      Do i really have to modify the /usr/src/sys/modules/* files???

Only if you want a module (and have a MODULE_DECLARE in your source).
I would suggest that it's worthwhile spending the time making your
code modular - it makes development easier and leads to better
practices of ensuring that your detach cleans up all resources etc.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>