Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2000 18:30:17 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   <OT> Cost/benefit of more RAM

Hi all,

I'm running a database server on an Athlon 700 with 384MB
RAM.  The database has large tables; but none exceed 10 million rows.
The services most often used are MySQL, PostgreSQL and Apache with PHP.
The tables are accessed through the network via ODBC drivers.  The box
has 3 slots for RAM, all of which are occupied by a 128MB stick of RAM.
Now that the price for 256MB sticks have come down, I'm thinking about
adding more RAM.

The question is: How can I tell if adding RAM will be
beneficial?  If the CPU's usage runs at 99% or higher and the RAM usage
is around 80%, does this indicate that
more RAM won't help any due to the CPU's limits?  Does
the usage of swap space indicate that more RAM would
be beneficial?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks; and Happy Holidays,

Andrew Gould