Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 06:23:03 -0400
From:      "Brad Bates" <bab@icon.lal.ufl.edu>
To:        "Michael Haro" <perl@netmug.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Security problem with FreeBSD 2.2.1 default installation

Michael,

First, you may want to check-in with the security mail
group and keep this out of the question group.  See the
freebsd-security information on the Support page at the
fbsd site nearest you.

Also, most folks would prefer that any security hole,
whether real or suspected, not be generally announced
until it is dealt with -- if you identify a problem to the
right folks they will fix it, and then announce the fix.
This helps people with less resources keep their systems
secure until the fixes are available, and keeps the less
mature of those on the Internet (bad boys & girls) from
finding out about something they may have overlooked.
The security folks will let you know how to report it, and
may want some very specific details.

As for "holes" (bugs) in existing code, well, that's part
of life.  No system is 100% secure.  If you get a chance,
take a read of Practical UNIX & Internet Security by
Garfinkel & Spafford, or some comparable book to learn
more about that.

Thanks for the information, and good luck cleaning up
your system.

bab