Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 1997 19:24:10 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: perl -> perl5?

At 01:05 PM 4/7/97 +0300, Nadav Eiron wrote:
>Well, I'm running all my machines with /bin/perl symlinked to perl5
>(started with 2.1.0, but went through 2.1.5,6,7 on about 4 machines).
>Never had any perl problems, but I'm not sure that I looked well enough.

Just about the same thing, no problems either.

>perl isn't completly backward compatible, but if you follow the
>"recommended" (i.e. camel book) style of writing, it pretty much makes
>it so. I do remember some thread about such problems in -questions about
>half a year ago, but I think it wasn't with any standard perl scripts
>that come with FreeBSD.

Since perl4 is what you get on install, even on 2.2.1, and most *want*
perl5, I add it.  At least the package add does not replace it, as there is
at least one person that needs perl4 for something, so I 'cp perl perl4'
and someone that needs perl4 can change the header.  And there is only one
person with this problem, out of several hundred.

Not sure myself what changed, but I think it was a syntax change.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990