Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 14:00:03 -0600
From:      "Ellis, Joshua" <ellis@kcc.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Is ___inet_ntoa missing from libc, or Perl just confused?

Recently re-installed the Perl5 port, and got some
errors about inet_ntoa missing in Socket.so in a
new script that I installed.  Checked libc, and
inet_ntoa appeared to be there, so I went back to the
perl5 port and re-ran Configure to tell it to use a
static copy of Socket.  When that went to compile, it
stopped on an error about "Undefined symbol `___inet_ntoa'
referenced from text segment" and a matching one for
___inet_aton.

So I went to the lwp port, and ran a "make test"
out of the work/libwww-perl-5.12 directory, and the
tests failed:

local/http........../usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined
symbol "___inet_ntoa" called from perl:/usr/local/lib/
perl5/i386-freebsd/5.00401/auto/Socket/Socket.so at
0x8138110

Very odd, but I've verified that sys/socket.h was indeed
being included in the Perl source, and libc was being
compiled in, and that the /usr/src/libc/net hierarchy was
being compiled into libc.  Anyone have any ideas?

Running 2.2-STABLE, freshly made from a cvsup as of
"Thu Oct 30 18:22:09 CST 1997".  Compiler optimizations
set for -O2 -m486 -pipe.  I have no way of knowing if
this was working last week, as I hadn't attempted using
lwp before last week.  Any help would be appreciated.

-joshua

-----
ellis@kcc.com                           http://www.kimberly-clark.com
josh@apostate.com                             http://www.apostate.com