Date:      Thu, 04 Dec 1997 14:15:12 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997 19:02:58 -0600 (CST), Kevin Day
<toasty@home.dragondata.com> wrote:

>I just mean that if there wasn't a SMP kernel available anywhere, I would
>have moved to Linux, and probably switched all my machines.

OK, but who would care?

>I'm saying that I think it would be a shame to lose FreeBSD users

Why is it a shame to lose users who don't pay anything for the
software in the first place?  How much money have you donated to the
developers of FreeBSD?

If someone wants to organize a FreeBSD development fund and pay the
developers for their time, they might have some voice in directing the
development and timing of releases.  But until that happens, I have to
say again, who cares if some users leave?

>From: "John S. Dyson"

>Let's all try to be kinder and gentler.  We all understand that SMP is an
>important feature, but also we shouldn't be inviting people away :-(.

A FreeBSD developers fund might not be a bad idea.  Successful ISPs
who use FreeBSD should be willing to support it.  I'm not a FreeBSD
developer, so I have no axe to grind.  But I do programming for hire
and recognize the value of my time.

The vast majority of non-contributing users would have little right to
complain about features.  $39 for a CD-ROM is not a "contribution."

John