Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 00:35:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Huppi <th@huppi.com>
To:        Joe <joe@team7.cba.ualr.edu>
Cc:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (probably) dumb question about ports collection

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Joe wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, J McKitrick wrote:
>
> > OK, i installed a couple of CD playes from ports, but where are they?  In
> > the ports directory, i typed 'make'' and the program was fetched by ftp,
> > and make finished without error.  But when i typed the name of the
> > program, it was not found?  How can i tell where the program was
> > installed?  SHouldn't it be in a directory already in my path?

Probably, but you could verify this by

  echo $PATH

to see your current path statement, and cd'ing to a directory
(like /usr/local/bin/ ) and looking for the file in question I
think.

Also, don't forget the

  pkg_info -Ia

to see if the system thinks it's installed the package/port.

> > jcm
> >

> You need to do a "make install"  after a "make", then you can run the
> program.

That one got me once!

I've been tipped over a couple of times too by not having had the
daily script run since the install.  One time I wasted half a day
trying to figure out why ghostscript wasn't doing the right
thing...

On my 3.1 (now 3.3) system,

  periodic daily

will run it at will.  Maybe coincedence, but as soon as I did
this, my printer worked like a champ.

There is also a "rehash" command which is, supposedly effective
with csh.  I have yet to correlate running it with solving any of
the particular problems that I have come up against.

-Tom