Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 1995 02:29:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        me@tartufo.pcs.dec.com, nate@trout.sri.MT.net, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Make World Times and a question about shared libs / make all

> >Well, it *can* be halved. My setup:
> >486/66, 32 MB, EISA/VLB,
> >SCSI disks on a BT747 controller (Quantum Empire 2100 for the srcs,
> >Fujitsu 500MB whatnot for obj), cflags -O2 -m486 -pipe,
> >not building profiled libraries.
>  ^^^
> Cheating :-).

Whoopsss... I've been cheating too.  I never build the profiled
libraries :-).

> >Now I've noticed that subsequent 'make all install's will relink
> >all the programs. I suppose this is due to the libraries being
> >newer than the existing objects. However, this wouldn't be necessary
> >unless the shared lib version has gone up. How hard would it be
> >to get rid of this behaviour? I don't want to go and dig myself
> >up to the armpits into the make stuff if it's impossible :-)
>
> Fairly hard.  I did some makefile hacking towards it last August.
> No one has done much more than complain about it since then.
> I'm not very concerned about it, because linking is relatively
> fast, not much slower than running `make' in /usr/src when there
> is nothing to do.

The one I really want to clean up is the installation of header
files, that causes more things to rebuild than anything to do
with the libraries.

Would people think it gross if /usr/include was nothing but
a directory tree full of symbolic links into /usr/src (or
where ever you did the ``make INCLUDE_TYPES=symlink includes'' from).

This would mean make would always stat the copy in the source
tree and save a lot of unneeded recompiles.

There would also be a ``make INCLUDE_TYPES=copies includes'' that
would do cmp -s || and only update if they had changed, etc.

This is not that hard to clean all about (about 12 hours of
work).