Date:      Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:44:07 -0400
From:      Theo Schlossnagle <jesus@omniti.com>
To:        Ganbold <ganbold@micom.mng.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>, Mao Shou Yan <david.mao@thomson.net>, Theo Schlossnagle <jesus@omniti.com>
Subject:   Re: ipfw bridge + fwd questions

Allowing fwd rules on bridged traffic isn't too difficult, but does =20
require kernel modifications (in ipfw).

As Mao says it can only work on layer 3 packets.  But, that doesn't =20
mean you can't do it.  It just means that when you add the FWD option =20=

into the layer 2 ipfw switch statement you have to look deep enough =20
into the packet to make sure it is indeed IP and possible to fwd.  =20
Then hand it up in the stack.

We did this on one of our networking appliances.  Basically, qualify =20
the packet in (args->eh) and then unlock the chain and ip_input to =20
push it into layer 3.