Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 23:00:38 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        small@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.7-STABLE on HP Omnibook 5000C: /etc/rc does not start

Hi!

I've got HP Omnibook 5000C notebook with Pentium90/16Mb RAM
and trying to install FreeBSD. I have no pccards so plan to
make bootable floppy, establish PPP over serial with my desctop
running FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE on Celeron-900 and in run installworld
over NFS. I did that many times with desktop machines without a problem.

So I've build custom PicoBSD and tried to boot it. Pico uses stock init(8),
not oinit. Kernel boots fine, detects all devices and tries to run /sbin/init
and hangs. The same floppy boots to multiuser on my Celeron-900E.
I've MAXMEM="(16*1024)" in Pico's kernel so it must be not memory problem.
Btw, the notebook runs Windows 95 currently and successfully establishes
ether PPP or SLIP connection with my desktop.

I've added some printf's to the kernel and see that kick_init()
(src/sys/kern/init_main.c) is really invoked and execve() inside
start_main() does return without an error (error==0) so start_init
return happy. Here I'm stuck.

I've also DDB in a kernel but don't know how to use it for remote
debugging. Please help!

Eugene Grosbein