Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 01:31:51 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Steve Howe <un_x@anchorage.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPP/Redhat4

> can anyone tell me if Redhat4 is up to no good,
> or if it is iijppp?  PPP bounces back in all caps
> with "what?", and i don't get my "default" route.
> other than that, my routes are ok.  but i am having
> to manually "route add default ISPs-IP" ...

If ppp isn't adding a default at startup, it's a document error
(now fixed).  HISADDR doesn't work in ppp.conf - only in ppp.linkup
(and now, ppp.linkdown).  Change it to whatever the peers address
is and put the "add 0 0 HISADDR" in ppp.linkup.

I don't know what you mean by "caps".

The "what?" means it didn't understand one of the directives in
your config file (this message is now a bit better too), or what
you just typed - maybe the one with the default route ?

[.....]

Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;