Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2012 22:05:44 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@bimajority.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPMI attachment fails: vendor bug, or just unusual choice?

<<On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:08:07 -0400, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> said:

> use 0xCA3.  That said, I believe that a true range should only show
> up in _PRS, not in _CRS, so we might be able to use your workaround for
> parsing _CRS.  (_CRS should only return assigned resources, so those should
> always be fixed, not variable ranges.)

My hack did work, as it turned out, but didn't help me talk to the
IPMI device.  (This seems to be the result of a very slow IPMI
implementation; the default timeout of 3 seconds was clearly not long
enough.  The IPMI specification recommends "at least" 5 seconds, but
that didn't work out either.  The BIOS setup thing is also very slow
when talking to the device.)

> If you can convince Quanta to fix their BIOS that would be the best
> result however.

We're about to get four more of these things, so I hope to at least
find out whether it's still broken (probably).  There's also a
checksum error, and when I flashed one system with a newer BIOS, that
was still there too.

-GAWollman