Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 20:03:05 -0500
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   batch erroneously reports open text file and aborts

I am using (well, trying to use) batch to run a series of models.

I compile the model:

   fac13ttyp3:pm7>lf95 --tpp pm7.f90 -o veryrandon.1000.10000.29
   Encountered 0 errors, 0 warnings in file pm7.f90.
   fac13ttyp3:pm7>batch
   ./veryrandon.1000.10000.29
  Job 16 will be executed using /bin/sh

But invariably I get back mail to the effect,

Text file busy (open, errno=26, unit= 8).
 pm7 beggining run.
 There are  100 merchants  and  20000 consumers
 Daily allocation of  20000 with target price of 100
 Starting price is 120

THe output after the first line is stdout output from the compiled
program.

THe first line is referring to the file number I use to create the
output file, which generally didn't even exist before.  THe message
that it is busy is plain and simply wrong.   The program line is
    open(courtReportUnit,file=courtOutputFile,action='write')
which has  the default status='unkwnown' which will kill any existing
file.

The executables work just fine when run directly from an xterm.  While
I was typing, one started from the queue--but I turned off it's
standard output to achieve that.

hawk

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail