Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2012 19:11:55 -0500
From:      Alex Goncharov <alex-goncharov@comcast.net>
To:        "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8 to 9: A longer wait early in the boot of a (damaged) CompaqPresario

,--- You/Steven (Thu, 16 Feb 2012 18:23:15 -0000) ----*
| Two things spring to mind which could help:
| 1. The reduce the slice sampling size in sys/boot/zfs/zfs.c which was
| increased recently

Your mentioning of ZFS made me realize that I was building
RELENG_{8,9} with /etc/src.conf not excluding it; I'll try to rebuild
9 with "WITHOUT_ZFS = 1".

| 2. disable boot time mem tests using the attached patch
|
| Patches for both from 8.2-RELEASE attached. For #2 you also need the
| following in /boot/loader.conf
| hw.memtest.tests="0"

I'll try this later, hopefully within a week, but I doubt the
likelihood of good effects from either: after all, the same builds
used on my HP Pavilion (4G of memory) have always led to non-pausing
bootups, as opposed to the pausing ones in my (damaged) Compaq
Presario (2G of memory.)

Thanks!

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov@comcast.net --