Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 07:20:49 +0200
From:      Stephan Holtwisch <sh@rookie.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jail(8) Honeypots

Hello,

On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 12:55:40PM -0700, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> I searched the mail archive and read the jail(8) manpage and was
> surprised not to see any discussion of using jail for a honeypot,
> an IDS. If I understand things correctly, one of the primary
> motivations for the jail command is to isolate potentially exploitable
> daemons and other programs so any damage done by an attacker is
> minimized. It seems to me that it is such a logical extension to run a
> _known_ exploitable process in a jail then watch for and document
> attacks from outside that some people out there must be doing it.
>
> So, is anyone out there doing this? Have any hints, gotchas, or really
> cool ideas to share about setting a system like this up? It seems that
> there are lots of possiblilities. One good box could look like
> multiple machines running the same or different exploitable programs
> to an attacker.
>
> If no one out there is, I am going to give it a shot anyway. I'd still
> appreciate any ideas.

I do not know the jail implementation in FreeBSD too well.
However, to me it seems a very bad idea to run _known_ vulnerable
software within a jail, since that would mean the jail
implemenation must not have bugs. You wouldn't run buggy
software in a chrooted environment either, would you ?
In addition to this i don't see a real sense to run a 'victim'
Host as an IDS, where is the purpose of that ?
It may be fun to watch people trying to mess up your system,
but most likely you will just catch lots of script kiddies.

Stephan