Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2012 16:44:26 +0200
From:      Luca Pizzamiglio <l.pizzamiglio@bally-wulff.de>
To:        joaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2/3D rendering cards

Hi all,

there are, more or less, three opportunities:

Nvidia
AMD/Ati
Intel

Nvidia has really good performance using nvidia legacy driver. You have
pros and cons (I don't want to start a debate about it) of closed-source.
Nvidia using nv has quite poor performance, on Linux as well.

AMD/Ati platform has a lack of support on FreeBSD (TTM not fully
implemented or something like that). That means no OpenGL hw acceleration.

Intel is on the way: it's usable in 9-STABLE or 10-CURRENT and using
not-yet-released ports. I successfully used SandyBridge with hardware
acceleration, IvyBridge is still using DRISWRAST (sw raster, no OpenGL
hw acceleration) and I don't understand why/no time to investigate it.

If you need a solution NOW, my personal and questionable suggestion is
NVidia GPU with nvidia closed-source driver.
In the near future, another solution is Intel integrated graphics with
open-source driver.
It depends how much powerful your GPU should be.

I'm using Nvidia and I have no problem. Someone had ones and it was bad,
because he couldn't fix, cause closed-source nature of the driver.

A note: there is a debate about x11/nvidia-driver, because it renames a
couple of openGL libraries and replaces them with NVidia's ones. Using
pkg (the new package system) this is not allowed. I don't know how this
is could be solved.
Remember also, that when you update OpenGL library (via portmaster), a
cleaner way to do it is deinstall nvidia-driver, update OpenGL libraries
and reinstall nvidia-driver.

Best regards,

Luca