Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 1995 14:45:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      julian@tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
To:        bakul@netcom.com (Bakul Shah)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: install compressed binary patch

> Notice that decompression is a `pure' function; the same
> compressed input will produce the same uncompressed output
> every time.  Can't this fact be used some way?
>
> The idea is this: given a compressed binary `foo', create an
> uncompressed binary somewhere.  Upon every invocation of foo
> check if the uncompressed version exists.  If so continue as
> if the user is really invoking the uncompressed version.
> The uncompressed version disappears once the last running
> instance is gone (or it may be cached for a while to save on
> decompression cost).

well, there must be something like this already:
consider:
we pull a page in from the compressed file... (or even non compressed)
the page get's swapped out.. (obviously NOT to the file..)
therefore there are already two entities being tracked by the kernel..
I assume we could extend this so that the swap object has the entire
uncompressed version of the file?

just an idea

julian