Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 22:47:44 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Speed deamons: How to build a build box?

>	I have a PPro 180 machine that is currently building world in about
>5 hours +-.  This time is from a "clean" state, not from a previously
>built state.  I've been told that it maybe possible to do this in 1:21.

Unless there is something really huge in your source tree that isn't
in mine, yours is taking waaay too long.

>	How do I morph the machine I have into a faster build box?

>I have 64M memory, a SuperMicro 6SNS motherboard, 60ns memory, and one
>SCSI disk (a Quantum Fireball 10.5ms 4500).  A second disk (a jaz drive,
>12ms 5400) didn't seem to make the build faster or slower.  The MB has
>built in SCSI "2940UW".  The fireball is the "ultra" version only.

If I remember right, there were some of these that were actually much
less capable than their stand-alone counterparts (only allowed three
outstanding transactions, or something like that).  Wonder if you got
one of those.

>As I see it, I have the following avenues to  make it faster:
>	1) Buy more memory

You have more than enough already.

>	2) Buy 50ns memory (the board can cope)

That shouldn't matter much.

>	3) Buy a faster disk, ultrawide scsi 7200 or faster disk.

This could help.  But you'd be better off buying more smaller disks
(4500-5400 rpm, not wide) and striping them.  Do some people not
listen?  (See Joe Greco's millions of posts on this.)

>	4) Overclock the 180 to 200 or 233 (I have a good heat sink and fan)

Somebody wasn't paying attention when I said don't buy a multiple of
30.  Sigh.  A 166 would most likely have run faster.

On the upside, you can probably overclock that chip to 200MHz.  That
will make a significant difference (though not more than 10%).

>	5) Get a second scsi bus

Couldn't hurt.

>	6) ccd?

Get the religion, brother!

>Can those that have tweaked for this sort of thing help me out here?  I'm
>running -current as of April 17 (ctm cvs-cur 3222).
>Also, what is the 1:21 number really?

I'm at least one of the people who claimed a 1:21 time.  Here's what I
did...

It was on NetBSD just before 1.2 was released -- not FreeBSD.  There
shouldn't be a significant difference, though.

I did it on a 200MHz Pentium Pro, running in an Asus P6NP5 (Natoma/440FX)
motherboard.  Using 64MB of 60ns EDO SIMMs.

I was running an Adaptec 2940UW (the real card, not a built-in chip),
with tagged-command-queuing turned on in the kernel.  All my binaries
and sources were on one Seagate 2GB Barracuda -- very fast, and the
object tree was writing to a mostly empty old Seagate 1GB 31200N --
not super fast (both drives were borrowed).  My filesystems were async
mounted.

All my binaries, including the kernel, had been built previously with
these flags (under gcc 2.7.2): -O6 -m486 -pipe -fno-strength-reduce.
I also did the test build with the same flags.  The object directory
was totally empty at the beginning of the build.  I let the build do
all the standard parts (build standard, profiled, and shared
libraries, format man pages, etc.), including make install.

The build output was directed to a text file, and I checked the text
file after the build to verify that there were no failures during the
build which might have affected the time (and there were none).  I was
not running X, but was running only a text console during the build.

I can't think of anything else relevant...

Although I was running on borrowed, non-striped drives during these
tests, my "production" system that I use for day-to-day work is ccd
striped over four SCSI drives.  FWIW...

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net