Date:      Tue, 29 May 2012 18:18:46 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Natacha_Port=E9?= <natbsd@instinctive.eu>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I help with thinkpad x220 issues?

=D1=80 =D0=93=D1=80=D0=B8=D0=B3=D0=BE=D1=80=D0=BE=D0=B2 wrote:
>> Well, brightness works with the command line, sooo.... I think it has to=
 be
>> mapped to the hardware keys. There is a long thread where I discussed th=
is
>> with a couple other members (toward the bottom for the recent brightness
>> discussion).
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.current/135827
>
> Thanks a lot for pointing this discussion, I found there information
> more up-to-date than what I previously found.
>
> In particular, according to what I understand from
> http://marc.info/?l=3Dfreebsd-current&m=3D133341372825281&w=3D2
> helping with the brightness seems to require a quite broad understanding
> of ACPI and/or EC, and maybe also a good overview of how things work
> currently in FreeBSD. Both of these seem to be far beyond anything that
> I can reach in a reasonable amount of time :-(
>
> Still, my offer stands, and if anybody can think of anything useful I
> can do or learn, please don't hesitate to tell me so.
>
>> Good news is that Konstantin's latest patch works with FreeBSD 9-STABLE =
so
>> no longer need to run HEAD. I would love to see resume work, though.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask for such help, but I
> haven't been able to get it working as much as I would like.
>
> More specifically, I checked out 9-STABLE, and merged all 14 commits
> listed at the end of http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU
> I then added WITH_NEW_XORG=3D"YES" and WITH_KMS=3D"YES" to /etc/make.conf
> and compiled x11/xorg metaport with default options, except for
> KMS=3Don for graphics/libdrm.
>
> It seems that adding i915kms in /boot/loader.conf freezes the system,
> but that's only a minor inconvenience. Now I kldload it just before
> starting slim.
>
> The screen resolution is correctly detected, everything in Xorg.0.log
> and `dmesg` looks fine, DRI2 is enabled, xdriinfo reports i915 dri
> activated for the screen. Well, all in all, as far as I can tell
> everything is fine, except I don't see any acceleration=C2=A0: it takes u=
p to
> a whole second for my rxvt-unicode to refresh its 80x56 window (whether
> scrolling or switching tmux window, and no image background is set),
> opaque window moving is very jumpy (but I can live without it), and
> armagetron runs at 7-12 fps (to test whether 3D acceleration fared
> better than 2D acceleration).
>
> Do you see the same behavior? Would you have any idea on how to diagnose
> whatever could be wrong?

Have you applied the kernel patches? Installing the new Xorg stuff
after building them with the two lines added to make.conf. only builds
the tools to send the appropriate requests to the kernel, but, without
the patches, the kernel does not know how to deal with them.

The required kernel changes have been committed to HEAD,but not to
9-Stable, so y0ou still need to manually apply these.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com