Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:11:46 -0400
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        dyson@iquest.net, des@flood.ping.uio.no (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        adsharma@home.com (Arun Sharma), kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE (Christoph Kukulies), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux and freebsd kernels conceptually different?

At 09:43 AM 6/10/99 -0500, John S. Dyson wrote:
>Dag-Erling Smorgrav said:
>> Arun Sharma <adsharma@home.com> writes:
>> > I'd say most of the differences are in implementation and development
>> > methodology. Linux camp seems to be proud of breaking traditions and
>> > concepts invented after lengthy research. I haven't seen that many
>> > iconoclasts in my short encounter with FreeBSD.
>>
>> You say that as if it's a good thing... I'd amend it to "The Linux
>> camp seems to think it's a good idea to ignore countless man-years of
>> research and development in the field of OS design, and make the same
>> mistakes other people have made, corrected and documented years before
>> them. I haven't seen that many ignorants in my short encounter with
>> FreeBSD."

LOL...these are my thoughts exactly. Linux is what you would do the first
time you did something without much experience.

They finally caved in on spl type mechanisms, though the mechanisms
provided in v2.2 are very crude. Worst of all, most of the OS is
undocumented and if you dont ask Alan Cox (or he doesnt feel like giving
you an answer) then you are pretty much in the dark.

If they would just do it right rather than re-writing the thing every year,
but I have little hope. I cant even convince them that is it unreasonable
to panic the system because 1 buffer doesnt have enough room for a header.

Dennis