Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 10:50:09 -0500
From:      Andrew Prihodko <prihodko@husc.harvard.edu>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   AHA-1542CF and Colorado T8000es

Hi!

I am trying to use HP Colorado T8000es with Adaptec AHA-1542CF host adapter
under FreeBSD 2.1.  I were not able to make the drive do *anything*, even a
status printout (mt -f /dev/rst0 status).  When the machine boots, the
drive flashes its light and I can hear the tape winding back and forth.
But that about all activity that goes on.

/var/log/messages:

/kernel: (aha0:4:0): "HP T4000s 1.06" type 1 removable SCSI 2

/kernel: st0(aha0:4:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x45,  drive empty

But when I am trying to use the mt command, I get this:

/kernel: st0(aha0:4:0): timed out
/kernel: st0(aha0:4:0): timed out  AGAIN

Someone suggested that termination might be a problem.  There are no
internal devices in the computer, so the adapter is serving the tape drive
only.  I have installed a passive external terminator that came with the
drive on one of the SCSI connectors on the drive.  According to the
AHA-1542C series manual, host adapter termination should be enabled through
the SCSISelect program if there are only external devices present (adapter
at the end of the cable).  I checked switches -- termination is enabled.
In case anyone knows the switch settings for 1542, mine are: all off,
except switch 5.

When I use the mt command, the SCSI activity LED on the adapter does not
flash. One thing though:  the SCSI cable I am using is about 3 feet long.
Could that be the cause?

Can anyone help me with this?  I have no idea what is wrong.  I tried to
connect a Wangtek drive a few weeks ago and had the same problem.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Andrew Prihodko
------
prihodko@fas.harvard.edu