Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:52:22 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD/PPC cross-build instructions.

Here's the cross-build/install procedure I use, taken from a posting Jake did to
the sparc64 list.

 Firstly, work out what build flags are needed. From the intersection of the two
sets that Benno and I are using

bflags is "-DNO_BIND -DNOINFO -DNOGAMES -DNOPROFILE -DNOCRYPT -DNOSECURE -DNOLIBC_R
-DNO_IPFILTER -DNOFORTH -DNO_FORTH"

make <bflags> TARGET_ARCH=powerpc buildworld
make <bflags> TARGET_ARCH=powerpc buildkernel

 Make sure DESTDIR exists

su
cd ./etc
make <bflags> TARGET_ARCH=powerpc distrib-dirs DESTDIR=<destdir>
make <bflags> TARGET_ARCH=powerpc distribution DESTDIR=<destdir>
cd ..
make <bflags> TARGET_ARCH=powerpc installworld DESTDIR=<destdir>
touch <destdir>/boot/device.hints
make <bflags> TARGET_ARCH=powerpc installkernel

 This will create a populated root filesystem that can be used for NFS root mounting,
building a CDROM image, or untarring onto a newfs'd disk partition.

 Now, I'm sure that in this process there are some files that haven't made it into
the CVS repo, so trying this out will help find them and get them checked in
(I'll start looking for these in parallel :).

later,

Peter.