Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 12:32:26 -0400
From:      Michael Jaskowiak <skovian@interpath.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   can't get a login: prompt

Hello,

	What I want, eventually, is to be able to have 8 serial ports
on two different computers and be able to communicate between all of
them at the same time.  That is what I was told to do, but I have no
idea where it is going.  I started out with only one computer that had
a Boca ioAT66 card in it.  After I compiled a new kernel that recognized
the
card and created the appropriate /dev/ttyd? and /dev/cuaa? devices, I
made a straight through cable that did in fact let me use all the ports
on that card to talk to an external modem.  So based on this, I am
pretty sure that the card is installed properly.  After that, I edited
the /etc/ttys file and added the line under serial devices "ttyd5
"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt100 on insecure".  After I edited the
file, I restarted /sbin/init and did a ps x to verify that the /ttyd5
port was ready for queries.  Then I made another straight through cable
and verified that that one worked as well and connected the ports cuaa4
and cuaa5 together through those straight through cables and a null
modem cable.  The way everything looks, I should be able to connect to
the cuaa4 port and get a login prompt, but that doesn't happen.  All
that does happen is that the computer tells me I'm connected.  Whan I
type anything, nothing happens.  I thought about the getty on both
computers, but I don't think thats it.  The getty is running only on
port ttyd5 and not on any of the other serial ports.  From what I
gather, the /etc/gettytab file should not have to be changed.  There is
a page in the online handbook that talks about troubleshooting the
connection and I am sure that I have everything correct except for the
parity.  In the /etc/gettytab file, the lines that read "std" default to
no parity.  However, I can't find if cu uses parity or not, if it does,
the man page doesn't tell you how to change it.  I have tried using
different cables with no difference in output.  I either use the same
null modem cable that I have used a thousand times before (known good
cable) or a known-good lap-link cable.  Thank you for any help you can
offer.

Michael