Date:      Wed, 17 May 1995 23:20:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        tom@haven.uniserve.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940?

> On Wed, 17 May 1995, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>
> > The drivers are identical, so the interupt time should be the same for
> > driving either card on the same machine.  Your benchmark is not really
> > valid since they were run on different motherboards.
>
>   To some extent.  It is instesting that a good EISA system can best a
> poor PCI system.  Woe to those buying cheap PCI motherboards.

My old 486DX33 ECS EISA/VLB Sis chipset with write back cache performs
better at memory speed benchmarks than most cheap PCI motherboards
by a large margin (29MB/sec on the EISA board, I have seen as low
as 20MB/sec on some PCI boards for the same test, same memory size, same
CPU chip])

The fastest 486 PCI motherboard I have tested is the ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G,
it uses 72 pin simms and memory interleaving (Ie, you *must* install
simms in pairs).  With a DX4-100 CPU chip in this board you can beat
almost every P5-60 out there in ``time make CLOBBER=true world'' given
identical memory and disk setup.

My data on the ASUS PVI-486AP4 is not comparible as it was done using
a DX33 chip, but the gut feeling of the box is that it has okay, but
not great memory bandwidth.  I was also running it with 1 8MB simm.

Guess I should go configure the standard DX2/66 16MB on that board and
run the test to see where it stacks up in the pile.