Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:20:21 +0000
From:      Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help, please.

I own an IBM Thinkpad Aptiva with a 400 P2 and 64 MB ram.
There is 1.1 MB free space on which I'd like to install
FreeBSD 3.4, version Jan 2000.

I tried to install from CD. Everything went fine (suggested kernel),
incl. the (A) auto selection of directory sizes when, after the last
'ok', I received the following error message:

1.  unable to make device node for /dev/x in /dev!
2.  couldn't make filesytem properly. aborted.

I understand that I can't install FreeBSD on my computer.
But, being a newbie, I don't undertsand the meaning of the message.

Could someone explain, please ?
Alf